COVID-19 VACCINATION: How Far Have We Gone?
Visualizing The World’s Covid-19 Vaccination Progress Using Tableau.
This project was a team work carried out by myself and some awesome people Immanuella, Wemimo, and Ronke. You can check their medium pages, you are sure to learn a lot from the amazing content there. Don’t forget to follow them and clap for their articles too.
This project uses Tableau to look into the progress of the ongoing covid-19 vaccination taking place globally with a view to answering questions like
- What is the distribution of vaccines across different countries? Which countries are leading and which ones are behind?
- What is the rate of adoption of the covid-19 vaccines across different time trends?
- At which months were more vaccines taken?
- What is the proportion of people who were vaccinated to their country’s population?
- How many Covid-19 vaccinations are administered daily?
- What types of vaccines are being used in different countries?
- How many Covid-19 vaccination doses have been administered so far?
The Covid-19 virus was first detected in 2019 in China. This deadly virus with over 129 million cases worldwide has killed more than 2.82 million people across the world. To combat the disease, nations and organizations have partnered to develop vaccines. In late 2020, different countries began distributing vaccines to their citizens for free.
The data used for this project was obtained from Kaggle. The dataset contains the following information;
- Country- this is the country for which the vaccination information is provided
- Country ISO Code — ISO code for the country
- Date — date for the data entry; for some of the dates we have only the daily vaccinations, for others, only the (cumulative) total .
- Total number of vaccinations — this is the absolute number of total immunizations in the country;
- Total number of people vaccinated — a person, depending on the immunization scheme, will receive one or more (typically 2) vaccines; at a certain moment, the number of vaccinations might be larger than the number of people
- Total number of people fully vaccinated — this is the number of people that received the entire set of immunization according to the immunization scheme (typically 2); at a certain moment in time, there might be a certain number of people that received one vaccine and another number (smaller) of people that received all vaccines in the scheme
- Daily vaccinations (raw) — for a certain data entry, the number of vaccinations for that date/country
- Daily vaccinations — for a certain data entry, the number of vaccinations for that date/country
- Total vaccinations per hundred — ratio (in percent) between vaccination number and total population up to the date in the country
- Total number of people vaccinated per hundred — ratio (in percent) between population immunized and total population up to the date in the country
- Total number of people fully vaccinated per hundred — ratio (in percent) between population fully immunized and total population up to the date in the country
- Number of vaccinations per day — number of daily vaccinations for that day and country
- Daily vaccinations per million — ratio (in ppm) between vaccination number and total population for the current date in the country
- Vaccines used in the country — total number of vaccines used in the country (up to date);
- Source name — source of the information (national authority, international organization, local organization etc.)
- Source website — website of the source of information
The following are the observations we generated from the data;
- Covid-19 Vaccine Doses administered so Far
Total vaccine doses administered vary from country to country with the United States having administered over 5 billion doses.
2. Countries leading with vaccinations
Considering the population, we see that these countries are making significant progress towards fully vaccinating its residents. Countries like Gibraltar, Israel, Seychelles are making progress towards having their entire population fully vaccinated i.e. both first and second doses have been administered to a great extent. This is because of their small population especially for countries like Gibraltar and Seychelles. While for Israel, apart from the fact that they paid about $30 for each dose(almost double what other countries paid), Israel is a great pilot country for pharma companies- It’s small and able to put together a massive vaccination program quickly and effectively. read here.
3. Countries adopting full vaccinations
The map shows countries that are making progress towards full vaccination by vaccinating at least one person. Most Countries are approaching full vaccination with at least one person getting a first dose of the vaccination with the exception of a large number of African Countries and some parts of Asia. This is because there has been a shortage of supply of the vaccines to most African countries, though there have been donations from India, China, Russia and the United Arab Emirates to help improve this, only 1.7% of Africa’s population have had access to the vaccine so far. see here
In some Asian countries, vaccination programs are still in their early stages and have not begun in others. This is because most residents have their doubts concerning the effectiveness of the vaccine and some are being careful. read here
4. Full vaccinations vs people vaccinated
Up to March 8th 2021 we see that a lot of people have been vaccinated but have not yet taken a second dose. On that date, most people that have been vaccinated also had a second dose. After then, a new set of people take the vaccine and have not yet been fully vaccinated.
5. Vaccination trends in top 10 countries
The top 10 countries are approaching the point where the number vaccinated is catching up with the number fully vaccinated. There is an increase in vaccinations generally.
6. Average Daily Vaccine Administration in Each Country
The United states is seen to have the highest daily vaccine administration taking place. This is followed by China, India and the United Kingdom. The least being Saint Helena, a remote island with a daily administration of 75 doses in a population of about 4,500 people. Source
7. Vaccine Used in Different Countries
Pfizer- BioNtech, Johnson & Johnson, Moderna, are the most common vaccines used globally with China as an exception using Sinopharm(/Beijing or Wuhan) and Sinovac.
8. Total Number of Vaccine Administered
The total number of Vaccine administered is 16,287,961,300. For December 2020, the total number of vaccines administered is 25,422,311. Currently, In 2021, the number of vaccine administered so far is 16,262,538,997, March has a larger share of the vaccines administered recording a total of 10,968,317,066.
The breakout of the Covid-19 pandemic required an urgent solution. These vaccines are made to help the immune system fight off the virus itself and reduce its death rates. From our visualizations, we can say that the Covid-19 world vaccination has experienced rapid progress globally since its inception. People’s response to the vaccines have been positive and this is highly commendable.
Thank you for reading. Hope you learnt a thing or twoif you have question, you can drop them in the comment. I sure will respond to them. You can do well to follow, share and give nothing less than 20 claps too😁😁.